DALICC in a nutshell
Modern IT applications increasingly retrieve, store and process data from a variety of sources. This can raise questions about the compatibility of licenses and the application`s compliance with existing law. Issues of rights clearance are especially relevant in the creation of derivative works compiled from multiple data sources.
Clearing and negotiating rights issues is a time-consuming, complex and error-prone task. Challenges associated with clearance issues are:
- high transaction costs in the manual clearance of licensing terms and conditions,
- sufficient expertise to detect compatibility conflicts between two or more licenses,
- negotiation and resolution of licensing conflicts between involved parties.
The DALICC Framework
DALICC stands for Data Licenses Clearance Center. It is a software framework that supports legal experts, innovation managers and application developers in the legally secure reutilization of third party data sources. The DALICC framework supports the automated clearance of rights, thus helping to detect licensing conflicts and significantly reducing the costs of rights clearance in the creation of derivative works.
To meet tackle the problems described above, the DALICC software framework will consist of four modules:
License Composer: Lets a user create customized licenses.
License Library: Lets a user choose from a set of standard licenses.
License Annotator: Provides a user with a machine-readable and human-readable version of your license.
License Negotiator: Checks compatibility, detects conflicts and supports conflict resolution.
Stakeholders & Target Groups
DALICC is primarilly addressing the following target groups:
- commercial data suppliers
- commercial data aggregators
- app developers & service providers
- law firms & legal divisions of companies or public organisations
- open source & open data initiatives
These target groups and stakeholders benefit in the following way:
- DALICC will provide a user-friendly framework that allows to easily create and attach licenses in human-readable and machine-readable form to a dataset and derivatives thereof.
- DALICC allows the cost effective check of license compatibility in the creation of derivative works, thus significantly reducing transaction costs associated with the legally secure provision and reutilization of data.
- DALICC’s technical components are generic in design and can be extended to other areas of rights clearance like privacy law or competition law, thus extending its applicability to content or software and stimulating the expansion of the data economy.
The DALICC framework is primarily targeting the European data market. According to a survey conducted by IDC & Open Evidence the European Data Economy currently provides 6,1 million jobs in the EU28 and could almost double by the year 2020 if high-growth in ensured. Similarly, the number of organizations producing and supplying data-related products and services could reach almost 350,000 in 2020, from 257,000 in 2014, and data users could be more than 1.3 million in 2020. The overall data market (i.e. the aggregate value of data-related products and services exchanged within the European economy) is estimated at already more than 50 billion Euro and will get to 111 billion in 2020 under high-growth conditions. The assessment of the overall economic impacts produced by the adoption of data-driven innovation in the EU is estimated at about 255 billion Euro in 2014, representing a contribution to the EU GDP of approximately 1,8% - a value that could rise to 4,7% in 2020 if high-growth is confirmed in Europe.